Internet Download Manager, shortly known as IDM is probably the most popular among paid download manager tools available today for Windows. Along with accelerated downloader, IDM features tight browser integration which lets you directly download videos from web besides normal files. IDM works much more conveniently than other download manager programs.
IDM also frequently checks for new version and notifies you with a dialog promptly. The dialog has the title “New version of Internet Download Manager is available” with latest version information in the field. This is really A cool feature which lets you know that an update of this tool is available. Thus you don’t have to tension about not having the latest version.
How to Turn off IDM Automatic Update Check
- Press Win+R on you keyboard to launch Run. Type regedit and hit OK. It will run Registry Editor.
- In Registry Editor, proceed as following: HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > DownloadManager.
- Double click on the name LstCheck (it can be LastCheck for older IDM versions).
- Change the value to a much future date as I did:
- Hit OK and close Registry editor.
- Restart your PC.
This will prevent IDM from showing update availability notification.
Bonus: How to Manually Update IDM
- Select Help > Check for updates from toolbar.
- It will check for latest version and notify you if there’s an update or not.
It’s recommended to keep Internet Download Manager always updated as latest versions come with bug fixes, optimization and new features.